It’s human nature to want to be loved. We need friends to reassure us that we belong. But as time goes on, the importance of quantity diminishes and quality rises . My smaller, solid group of loyal and supportive friends has brought me more happiness than being popular ever has.
Although it may sound harsh, getting rid of friends is necessary at times. I want to invest myself in people that genuinely care, love, and support. Not people that come around when it is convenient or serves them.
I took the time to evaluate what people I want in my life and these are the people I chose for my team.
- The go-to. Someone who always has an answer. I’m not sure why they know everything, but they do. Whether it’s something really strange or really important, they know about it. In the rare occasion that they don’t, they connect with someone who does. They are a true resource.
- My right hand is the person who is always there. You call and they come. You have a flat tire? They are on their way without making you feel like a burden. You just got into a fight with your boyfriend and you’re a crying hot mess, they’re preparing the drinks and snacks for a girls night before you even ask. This person doesn’t let you down.
- A Cheerleader who stays in my corner. This person doesn’t care what crazy idea I come up with, they are ready to cheer me on. They know and believe in me.
- A therapist that will give real advice. This person genuinely wants to help so they will be honest. And even though I might not want to hear what they say, I secretly know they’re right. I shared my deepest fears and secrets with them. They know me so well that they see through denial. They can help through it all.
- The comedian. This person doesn’t have mind-blowing words of wisdom that bring great realizations, but they always have something to lighten the mood. No matter who you are, where you come from, or how great your life is, you will have shitty days. This person brings happiness when times are tough.
Everybody who comes into your life has an impact on it. They change your energy, your thoughts, and shape your outlook. That is a big responsibility. Moving forward, I will only pick the people who bring positivity, not negativity. The ones who support , love, and believe in me through it all. You can make it through life without being popular. But you will not make it through without a solid support team.